Re: Problem to use external h-d

Hannuman Bull wrote:

Christer,

I just got a Maxtor OneTouch II external usb hd and I'm also running sarge 2.6 on a p4 system. I'm mounting the drive using the new udev system. Depending on what programs you have installed you should be able to see your usb devices using one of the following commands.
# usbview

#  lsusb

# udevinfo -a -p /sys/block/sdb/sdb1 (change sdb to what sd#'s you have in /sys/block/)

If you have udev installed, I can send you the details on how I mount my hd.
--Hannuman

Christer wrote:

There seems to be no chance to get my external h-d (Maxtor) with usb2 interface to get recognized by the system p4 and sarge 2.6 kernel on my Fedorainstallation there is no problem to mount/automount the same,,any suggestions about how to do??

...have you installed hal and pmount too and made the necessary changes in fstab after having made a new directory, something like <# mkdir /mnt/usb_device>? in that case you should be able to see in your /home-file something under <devices> like hardisc /sda_x /mnt/usb_device or whatever you want to call that directory. on my machine thids is working fine (sarge, 2.6.8-2-686)

regards,

steef