No joystick device nodes

Final problem for today at least. I cannot get my sidewinder precision pro to work with Linux. I have a Asus A8N-SLI NF4 motherboard and I am using the latest Nvidia drivers (0301 I think) but no device nodes are created. I've tried creating the device nodes manually and modprobe sidewinder/joydev/gameport in various order without success.

I am running a custom AMD64 Kernel compiled from 2.6.11 debian source package using make-kpkg and using the latest udev from unstable on a pure64 unstable system. I have tried my 32bit install and Knoppix 3.7 without any better results. I would really like to try out some of these Linux games I keep hearing so much about but using the keyboard is a little tedious :-(

Thanks

Wackojacko