very slow boot (kernel issue)

Dear all,

I just tried to install Sarge in my laptop: Pentium M (Centrino) 1.6GHz, 1Gb of RAM. (For more info: http://www.uniwill.com/products/other/244ii0/244ii0_print.php)

The installation went OK, but the 1st boot took over 1 hour. (The rest of the installation took several hours.) I had Mandrake in this laptop before, and had a similar problem, which was fixed by installing the kernel 2.6.8.1-12mdk-i586-up-1GB. (Knoppix works fine too.) I thought that the problem would be resolved with the installation of a kernel with HIGHMEM4G enabled.

The default kernel was 2.6.8-2-686, and I checked that HIGHMEM4G was enabled in it. I also tried 2.6.8-2-686-smp and 2.6.11-1-686 from testing, all with the same result (over 1 hour to boot).

I can try also try more versions, but since it takes so long to boot, I'd appreciate if any one would have any ideas.

I posted some info (dmesg, lsmod, lspci, etc.) at

http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~finotti/laptop/

if that would help.  (All after the boot with 2.6.11.)

Thanks and best to all,

Luis