Re: FireFox annoyances

On Friday June 17 2005 10:36, Mitja Podreka wrote:
> Another problem is probably related with general settings (it is same in
> FireFox and Konqueror), but I can't find the solution. If I view pages
> on localhost the special characters are displayed incorrectly. When I
> view the same pages, uploaded on server everythink displays correctly.

That's a problem with how HTML and HTTP are supposed to work together. HTML in
itself has (IMAO) no sane way to specify a charset. For three possible ways
which are all rather unreliable read this:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/charset.html#h-5.2.2

With XHTML, that problem is solved in a much better way by having the XML
declaration contain the charset, but having the declaration usually breaks
IE. Also, at least Firefox and Konqueror read XHTML files as HTML unless you
properly name them with the .xhtml extension.

A way that I found to at least have a working local preview is to use both the
XML declaration and the META-tag.

--
Got Backup?

Jabber: Shadowdancer at jabber.fsinf.de