Re: python -> python2.4: debian way?

Thomas Stivers wrote:
On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 02:09:35 PM +0200, Roel Schroeven wrote:

Hi,

I'm wondering how I should make debian start python2.4 when I type python. I guess I could just modify the symlink so that /usr/bin/python points to /usr/bin/python2.4 instead of /usr/bin/python2.3, but I'm not sure that it won't screw up anything. What's the Debian way to do this?

update-alternatives --set python /usr/bin/python2.4

Or alternatively:

update-alternatives --config python

That's what I thought at first, but there is no trace of python in /etc/alternatives. /usr/bin/python points directly at /usr/bin/python2.3. And indeed:

$ sudo update-alternatives --set python /usr/bin/python2.4
No alternatives for python.

(I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that I already investigated that approach)

Hm, from reading python-policy.txt.gz in /usr/share/doc/python it seems that I'm not supposed to point python to anything else than the Debian default version at any point in time. It's kinda annoying though to type python2.4 instead of python all the time. And I'm not very keen on using #!/usr/bin/python2.4 at the top of my scripts, since that means I would have to update them when I want to use 2.5 once it is released.

Roel Schroeven