xmms skips all files

Hello,

I've been running sarge for more than a year and now xmms decided to
stop working. Sound works fine with Real player and with amarok.

If I load a list of existing files into xmms it just keeps going through
the list endlessly, like if the files didn't exist.

Any hints??

Some details:
ii  xmms                 1.2.10+cvs20050209-2
ii  xmms-cdread          0.14a-11
ii  xmms-dev             1.2.10+cvs20050209-2
ii  xmms-fmradio         1.5-1
ii  xmms-qbble           1.2-10
ii  xmms-stats           0.2-2
ii  xmms-status-plugin   1.0.0-2
ii  alsa-base            1.0.8-7
ii  alsa-oss             1.0.8-1
ii  alsa-utils           1.0.8-4

And if you are wondering why on earth I would like to use xmms if I
already know about amarok: because amarok crashes the whole desktop
environment when playing certain specific mp3s I have...

--
  Francisco.
             __o