EPIA and io-wait

I have a strange problem on an VIA EPIA board; the CPU is Samuel2 600MHz
and chipset is VIA CLE266. Attached, is a toshiba 3.5" U133 HDD.

The probelm is IO-WAIT. Many different programs create ~100% iowait on the
system, even if the relative disc io the program causes is quite low. For
example encoding an ogg (the wav is already on the disc, not on CD) runs
at high io-wait all the time. (I used jack and oggenc.)

Is there anything I can do the alleviate this? The sad thing is, that
this iowait causes video-playback with vdr jumpy if I'm doing almost
anything else on the background. VDR is running as root at nice -10 and
jack & friends niced to 0 (and run as user), so that does not help.

Kernel is stock sarge 2.6.8 with a little patch for VIA's rhine-ii
ethernet to enable WOL, but I doubt it has anything to do with this.

                | Juha Jäykkä, juolja@utu.fi			|
		| Laboratory of Theoretical Physics		|
		| Department of Physics, University of Turku	|
                | home: http://www.utu.fi/~juolja/              |