Getting the hang of APT 2.....

Here's part 2....

I actually muddle through the APT HOWTO last night and figured out the
dpkg-scanpackages comand. I used it to successfully scan 3 packages I
moved from the CDROM to my /root/debs directory. It created the
Packages file, which I opened with nano to verify the content. It
appeared to be a binary file.

However, when I fire up Synaptic I get an error message about the packages:

"W: Couldn't stat source package list file: debs/Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists /_root_debs_Packages)
-stat (2 No such file or directory)"

I also added the line "deb file:/root debs/" to the
/etc/apt/sources.list file, as instructed in the APT HOWTO.

Any idea why I am getting the error message. How might I go about fixing it?

Thanks,

Scott