Re: Custom minimalist build

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 11:48:17AM -0500, Matthew J. Harmon wrote:
> I'm building a series of Xen (xensource.com) virtualized servers to
> compartmentalize applications such as Apache, PostgreSQL, etc. and I would
> like to provide each a custom build with only the necessary libraries.
>
> So far I haven't found a way to do this easilly, I'd like to be as
> minimalist as possible with Debian (Xen's primary distribution is Debian),
> any recommendations?

Ah I just answered this on the Xen list without realising you were
using Debian.

I can recommend running debootstrap in dom0 to download the minimal
configuration.  Then you edit a few of the config files there, and
tar it up to use as a template for future guests.

If you use the same filesystems then you will only need one kernel
that can beused for all of them; if some have special kernel needs
then maybe they can be done as modules.

Setting up something like an apt-proxy is useful since after you've
booted with the template install you will want to apt-get a few
things that are not necessarily needed in every guest.  For example,
any guest that I am going to be spending a fair amount of time
editing files in I will want to install vim, but for those where I
don't edit much I will leave it with vi.

Here is a page of some of my experiences:

http://wiki.blitzed.org/User:grifferz/Xen