Re: Recommended laptop for Sarge

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 10:25:19AM -0500, Michael Madden wrote:
> What new laptop from a tier 1 vendor (Dell, HP, IBM, etc) would you
> recommend to use with Debian 3.1?  Ideally I'd like a processor >= 2.0 GHz,
> memory >= 1 GB, a 60 GB hard drive, a 14'' or 15'' LCD, a NVIDIA graphics
> card, a on-board gigabit NIC, a built-in floppy, a built-in DVD+-R drive,
> and total laptop weight <= 10 pounds.  Any recommendations?

I'm running Ubuntu Breezy, which is based on Sarge with some
experimental bits built in, atop a Thinkpad R51. It's got
half a gig of RAM, a 1.5-GHz processor, a 40-gig hard drive,
and so forth. It weighs five pounds. I laughed when I saw
that you're looking for a laptop under 10 pounds; if yours
weighs any more than 5 pounds, you'll be very unhappy.

I could have knocked the hard drive and memory up to the
limits you specify; it would have cost more, but I doubt it
would have weighed any more.

Will you really be using a built-in floppy? Will you be
using the DVD very often? Will you be connected to a wired
network very often? As a newish laptop owner (I got this
thing in September, I believe), I'd look to cast off as much
of this as possible -- have it set aside in a detachable
base that you could choose to connect if necessary, but
that you're not lugging with you all the time.

Will this laptop spend most of its time on your desk? Then,
again, I'd have an attachable base that you could keep
latched to your computer when it's on your desk and take off
when you leave.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve@laniels.org