Re: big trouble in upgrading from Debian 3.0 to 3.1

Hi Luiz,

I had similar trouble.  This is what I ended up doing based on the
advice of others in this list.

apt-get autoclean;  this will clean up your cache directory, good thing to do
 every once in a while but no required.

 apt-get update;

 apt-get dist-upgrade

Thanks go to Roberto C. Sanchez for this.

I ran into this error:

Removing xserver-rage128 ...
sed: can't read /etc/X11/Xserver: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing xserver-rage128 (--remove):
  subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 2
  xserver-rage128

And this solution worked for that

I would suggest the command "touch /etc/X11/Xserver" (to create this
file, thus "fooling" the remove script into doing what it wants),
followed by a repeat of "apt-get dist-upgrade -f".

Thanks goto Kent West

After that everthing started working find.

Hope this helps,

Brian