Re: big trouble in upgrading from Debian 3.0 to 3.1

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 11:47:44AM -0300, Luiz Regis Emediato wrote:
> I used dselect in order to upgrade from version 3.0 to 3.1.
> I let dselect do it by its own: 956 new upgrade packages were
> download but when it tries to install them many errors appear
> specially about libc6 C++ and also errors about broken
> unpacking. I still can log in to the old 3.0 fortunatelly.
> I would appreciate any help in how to solve these issues.

I enjoy dselect, but it seems unfit to handle the transition from
woody to sarge on its own. apt-get and the aptitude that ships with
woody aren't even up to the task. Reading the release notes is highly
recommended:

http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.html

One of the points it mentions is:

Upgrade tests have shown that sarge's version of aptitude is better at
solving the complex dependencies during an upgrade than either apt-get
or woody's aptitude. It should therefore be upgraded first using:

# aptitude install aptitude

So I suggest following this advice (and reading the rest of the
release notes). Make backups if you haven't already. And you may want
to wait for a few other answers of course. :)

HTH,

Public GnuPG key: keyserver.net ID 0x1735C5C2
"Let your advance worrying become advance thinking and planning."
 - Winston Churchill