Re: degraded array - former device is unavailable

Quoting David Svejda <david.svejda@i.cz>:

Hi,

I've problem with software RAID 1. I've installed Debian 3.1 and everything went ok.The machine was running for few days, then it was halted due to power supply failure.

Then, after reboot, there is an error on md0 device as seen in /var/log/dmesg:

md0: former device ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part1 is unavailable, removing from array!

When I look into /proc/mdstat or when I do:

# mdadm -D /dev/md0

I can see that only one disk is active. When I do:

# mdadm /dev/md0 -a /dev/hdb1

everything is ok, both disks are active.

Do you have any idea why is md0 not created correctly? Other arrays are created without any problem.

If you are getting errors on your md devices only after a reboot, try
wiping out your /etc/mdadm.conf file. (if there is one)
Of course your hard disks must be set to "Linux raid autodetect"
via cfdisk.

Mike