Re: Oldstable? Abandoned Packages? Alternatives?

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 08:57:01PM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> An academic question: If I wrote a standalone program in C strictly for
> my own use what would be its lifetime?  I have heard it argued that C
> (and I assume gcc) is here forever as it is the preferred language for
> writing operating systems.  I am a retired physicist and in my career I
> wrote many standalone programs for my own use in a variety of languages,
> the largest in Turbo Pascal.  I could tackle Perl and tk for cbb or try
> Python or some other language but if I do anything I want the result to
> live and work happily on my Debian based computer with minimal need for
> re-writes to accomodate upgrades.
Hi Thomas,
Just because upstream is dead, does not mean this program should die. If
its FLOSS, it can be adopted by you under a debian-mentor help, rewritten in
a language like perl or maybe get some kindly Debian person to take an
interest in it by a RFA (request of adooption) or RFP (request for
packaging) -- not sure how a removed packages status is considered if
you want to revive it. The point being that if it does what YOU find
useful and its FREE software, why shouldn't you find some way to use it.
Cheers and Good luck!
Kev
--
counter.li.org #238656 -- goto counter.li.org and be counted!