install cd with newer kernel?

Hi all,

I have a new (VIA) SATA card which is not recognised by the kernel in
the Sarge installer (3.1r0a) CD (2.6.8). The Ubuntu Hoary CD has 2.6.10
and works fine. Perhaps it isn't just the version, but that isn't too
important.

What I want is either

1. A Sarge CD image with a new kernel that will support my card

or

2. A way to create such a CD. I looked at the CD FAQ, which referred to
the debian-cd package, but was rather discouraging about it. Is there a
simpler way than that to just replace the kernel?

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Richard