Re: How to capture bootup messages?

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 09:20:07PM -0300, Paulo M C Aragão wrote:
> This fantastic list help me on this one before.
>
> Put this in /etc/default/bootlogd:
>
> BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=yes
>
> Next time you boot, every msg sent to /dev/console will end up in
> /var/log/boot.

Cool! Two things.

1) When I enable it and try to run it (under Ubuntu), I get

 * Starting Bootlog daemon...
bootlogd: cannot find console device 136:0 in /dev

Looks like this came up back in March on this list:

See also

2) Can someone explain what the difference is between what
ends up in klogd, bootlogd, dmesg, and /var/log/syslog? And
why one would prefer one of those to another?

Thanks much,
Steve

--
Stephen R. Laniel