Re: Partimage under Sarge?

--- William Ballard <nospam_50319@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

> I see that Partimage is a Piece Of Crap(tm).

Is it? Oh. Why? I like it.

> I can't live without partimage or partimage-like
> functionality.

I gave up trying to use the partimage server/client
model as it kept corrupting images across (our)
network (perhaps this is why your description is a
fitting one...). Couldn't get it to work once, after
much trying. So I now partition the client harddrive
(e.g. /dev/hda1 30gb, /dev/hda5 5gb) and use sysrescue
(with partimage on it) live cd to boot the client and
image /dev/hda1 to /dev/hda5. Incidently I use
run_qtparted on the sysrescue live cd to partition.
Step 2 is to scp the image to our server for central
storage. It's actually *quicker* than the
server/client model too (5 mins to transfer a typical
image, then 5 mins to restore it). I thought it would
take longer, but it turns out to be a handy way round
it for us.

Just used this method to clone 20 laptops. Very
successful.

Next stage, I plan to just use an NFS export from our
server, boot sysrescue on the client and mount the NFS
export locally on the client. Then use partimage to
image the client hard drive straight to the server's
NFS export mount. Foresee any issues with that plan?

Ta
--
Matt