apt-get dist-upgrade gave me emacs

I woke up this morning to find that apt-get dist-upgrade, which
had been running since the night before, was downloading emacs
packages.

 - I've never had emacs on this machine.
 - A subsequent "dpkg -l" showed no sign of emacs.
 - There are emacs debs now in /var/cache/apt/archives.

So it was downloaded because something erroneously thought it
was wanted, but it was not installed because something rightly
knew it wasn't wanted.

Can someone explain this to me?

David

--
David Jardine

"Running Debian GNU/Linux and
loving every minute of it."  -L. von Sacher-M.(1835-1895)