Re: Getting the hang of APT....

On 6/14/05, Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 12:13:36PM -0700, Redefined Horizons wrote:
> > What does apt-cache do?
> It operates as a kind of proxy between your computer and the Debian
> repository out on the internet. It keeps copies of all the packages
> that you download so that, if you want to download again in order to
> install on another computer, you already have a copy of the package
> preserved from the first download.  It is probably not for you, based
> on your following questions. It was my excuse for not knowing how,
> exactly, to solve the problem that you asked.

Are you sure you're not confusing this with something else?  I've used
apt-cache without a network connection.  It just stores the
descriptions of all available packages, including dependencies.  The
only thing installation-specific I've seen (other than
release-specifics) is in "apt-cache policy".  And, of course,
"apt-cache search" is the best way to find new packages to install.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh