Re: Brief Apt-Get and KDE Question

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 01:18:42AM -0400, David R. Litwin wrote:
> I have recently gotten KDE 3.4.1 from deb
> http://pkg-KDE.alioth.debian.org/kde-3.4.1/ ./ which is apparently a
> legitimate debian site from which to get KDE. Now, after doing the usual
> apt-get and apt-upgrade (and dist-upgrade: I wanted the latest version of
> Sarge, but I don't think that matters here) to install it, I ran apt-get
> update again, then apt-get upgrade. It said I had twenty-nine packages to
> up-grade. So, I did apt-get -V upgrade and it said (for each one, mind) (
> 3.3.2-1 => 3.4.1-1) (save only that the 3.3.2-# some times changed. The
> number after the hyphen, that is).
>
> The question is this, then. If I execute the upgrade, will I really upgrade
> from 3.3.2 to 3.4.1 or vice-versa, I. E. downgrade from 3.4.1 to 3.3.2?

1. Yes the Debian Alioth site is legitimate in the sense that it is
Debian for (primarily) Debian developers that are packaging and
developing for Debian.
2. The packages are *experimental*.  That means that you should not use
them unless you are prepared to deal with the fallout.
3. Use aptitude (or synaptic, if you have a preference for GUI), instead
of plain apt-get.  Once you learn the key bindings, it is very nice.  It
also compactly presents far more useful information than apt-get.

That said, I am not sure.  If you run 'apt-cache policy kdelibs4', what
does it say?  It will tell you which version you have installed, which
is the best available version, and which sources are providing the
different available versions.

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sanchez