Re: Request for window manager recommendations

herminio@gmail.com wrote:
Have just finished installing sarge (am a first-time debian user, very
impressed), and now am chosing a window manager. I have fond memories
of using a little-known WM called VTWM on SunOS, but that was almost 10
years ago now. I'm guessing the are other, at least equally noteworthy
WM's around.

Not so keen on KDE/GNOME because as I understand they are somewhat
CPU-intensive and take longer to load than the traditional WMs.

A personal recommendation of your favourite window manager would be
much appreciated.

Thanks for your attention,
Herminio Gonzalez

I would like to recommend WindowMaker (wmaker).

It's extremely fast, light on RAM, and although not really what they call a Desktop Environment, I can't find much of anything it can't do. IIRC it takes about 4MB RAM when loaded, so you can imagine how fast it will run and load on your machine.

Anecdotally, my wife and 2 kids have all abandoned Gnome and KDE for WMaker as their interface of choice.

Another one that I've heard about is xfce but I didn't think that much of it. Although nice, it didn't offer enough for me to consider moving.