Re: XFree86 packages mess, Xkb broken, how to clean up

Johan Kullstam wrote:
> Andrey Andreev <andreev@cs.helsinki.fi> writes:
[snip]
>>A month later, after some upgrades of X my xkb stopped working. I
>>noticed that /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb does not exist, so I made a
>>symlinked it to /etc/X11/xkb/. Now, to my surprise X would seem to start
>>OK, but my keyboard did not work properly (I could do Ctrl-Alt-Bksp, or
[snip]
>>(which is what I run). It did not fix the xkb issue. I diffed my
>>/etc/X11/xkb/ to one on a working Sid and found no differences.
[snip]
> I also lost my xbd files.  The problem is that the xfree86 package
> (xlibs to be exact) contains the files, but, for some unknown reason,
> fails to actually install them (I am not sure if the very latest rev
> fixed this).  It does make a directory tree /etc/X11/xkb... but many
> of the files in it are missing.

I did not have the problem of missing files in /etc/X11/xkb. The files
were all there and they were complete and correct, as I compared them
with ones on a working install and found them to be the same. However
the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb symlink, which should point to /etc/X11/xkb,
was missing.

> Download the .deb (apt-get will fetch it for you and then find it in
> /var/cache/apt/archives).  Then unpack it manually using dpkg.  Copy
> the relevant file tree to /etc/X11/xkb.

Even though this did not make too much sense as my /etc/X11/xkb was OK,
I did it anyway. It did not help.

Thanks for responding,

Andro

--