Re: Request for window manager recommendations

herminio@gmail.com writes:

> A personal recommendation of your favourite window manager would be
> much appreciated.

I used twm/awm back in the eighties. I've been using enlightenment for
years now though. I tried wmaker and sawfish but they lacked features
from enlightenment that I discovered I really missed. If you've loved
enlightenment and found an even better WM, please let me know.

Here are some of those features:

Sloppy focus. I *hate* click to type. I also hate it when setting the
focus brings the window to the top, occluding the window that you're
referencing. While you can set these things in Enlightenment, you can
also *not* set them.

Nice iconbox. My iconbox has a transparent background, does
not have borders and grows and shrinks as necessary. It uses the
application's icons.

Virtual desktops. I have three virtual desktops. There is a little
pager window that shows your windows in miniature which you can click
to view or drag between desktops.

Decorations. You can opt not to have any window decorations. Good for
XMMS, xfaces, asclock, and transparent terminal windows.

Explicit memory. Enlightenment can remember the applications size,
location, decoration, stacking style (always on top, bottom, or normal).

Opaque move and resize. Only way to really see the effects of your
actions.

Mouse gestures and keyboard shortcuts.

Alt-tab menu. Alt-tab brings up a menu of the window titles and also
brings the selected window to the top. The combination makes switching
applications very fast.