Re: Sound + Video Issues

linux_user98765@yahoo.com wrote:
> After relocating my Linux drive to my new computer, I've been able to
> resolve most problems; however a few remain:
>
> Audio -- ???
> Video -- i810 works (Direct Rendering: NO), however i915 doesn't

> My /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 loads both "glx" and "dri".  Additionally the
> DRI section is set to 0666.  After extensive googling and reading BUG
> #257062 I added:
>

> deb http://debian.uni-klu.ac.at/debian.uniklu sarge/uniklu/desktop \
>     main contrib non-free main-uk contrib-uk non-free-uk
>

> to my sources.list and ran `apt-get update` and `apt-get upgrade`,
> which pulled in (among other things) the modified xserver-xfree86.
>
> This enabled me to use the "i810" driver in my XF86Config-4; however I
> still cannot use "i915" despite being able to successfully modprobe the
> module:
>

> # cat /var/log/XFree86.0.log | grep i915
>
> (II) LoadModule: "i915"
> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module i915
> (II) UnloadModule: "i915"
> (EE) Failed to load module "i915" (module does not exist, 0)
>

> I'm curious why I can modprobe the module and yet xserver-xfree86
> purports the module does not exist...

> For the time being i810 is tolerable, but I'd really like to be able to
> enable Direct Rendering (and use the i915 module).

For direct rendering to work you need support in the kernel and in X,
those are different things. Try looking in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri
for the X driver.

According to this[1] mailing list post you need both Xorg from CVS and
Linux 2.6.12-rc for i915 to be supported. Is that what the apt sources
above provide?

Otherwise, if you are on x86, there is a person who builds packages
with DRI-snapshots compatible with Debian[2]. Not sure how up to date
they are. If that doesn't help, you will have to compile Xorg
yourself.

1. http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2005-June/008190.html
2. http://www.nixnuts.net/files/

> AUDIO
>
> I've modprobed just about every sound module I could find, but the only
> one that output any text was i810_audio.  Several modules showed that
> udev created new devices in syslog, but nothing seemed to bring in the
> mixer...
>
> Googling returned that a few people have successfully used either
> i810_audio or snd-intel8x0; however neither appear to work for me.
>
> Granted this may be merely due to my inability to bring in the mixer.
> I think I may be able to resolve the rest myself if I can figure out
> which module to load for the mixer...

Hmmm, that sound chip seems to be supported pretty good and should not
be a problem.

Have you installed the alsa related stuff? Did not discover find
anything? (I can't remember what of these packages get installed by
default during installation).

Take a look below on Alsa Projects notes for this chip. They have some
Debian specific instructions.

http://thefinleys.com/dell_d810/#Audio
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Intel&card=.&chip=440MX%2C+i810%2C+i810%2C+i810E%2C+i820%2C+i820&module=intel8x0

Good luck!