Home network problem

The linux server running file and printer sharing for windows, Apple and linux clients does not get the internet in KDE.

I get an IP address and subnet mask info, and RX & TX packet flow when I issue a ifconfig command on eth0 (the only NIC)

I can ping all local machines, the DSL router and the print server. Local machines can see the linux server. I can even ping google but only with their octal IP, it doesn't work with www,google.com.

when I click in the Windows network icon on the desktop, I get a network unreachable and bug report message .

but again browsers, SSH and FTP do not work in KDE. I have no command line FTP or SSH clients installed. Should I test this or is there somewhere else I can look? I don't know how to go forward.