Re: Can't burn CDs at a reasonable speed (cdrecord, 2.6.11 kernel).

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 14:37:21 +0100
Adam Funk <a24061@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Not quite there!  I'll check the cable too.

Funny, I seem to get the same eror, and my cables are good. My /dev/hdc
is a Toshiba SD-1312, and reading DVDs & CDs, writing CDs (it's a combo
DVD-R/CDRW) has worked fine.

oot@118[~]# hdparm /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 multcount    = 32 (on)
 IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    = 256 (on)
 geometry     = 3280/16/63, sectors = 3306450, start = 0

/dev/hdb:
 multcount    = 16 (on)
 IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    = 256 (on)
 geometry     = 59560/16/63, sectors = 60036480, start = 0

/dev/hdc:
 IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  1 (on)
 readahead    = 256 (on)
 HDIO_GETGEO failed: Invalid argument

My guess is that this ioctl is responsible for getting the geometry of
a drive (heads, sectors, etc.) and it's a bit difficult to do so
without a disk in the drive :). But throwing a disk in the drive
doesn't alter the output. I figure it's a pointless query on a CD or DVD
drive.