Re: sarge: gdm login screen: font too small

john doe:

> I did a standard installation, somehow the font on gdm login screen is
> so small it's almost unrecognizable. But once I login, all the fonts
> are in reasonable sizes. Anyone else has a similar problem? I searched
> around and couldn't find any answer. The gdm.conf file never
> explicitly specify screen resolution or anything like that.

The "correct way to fix this" goes like this:

~$ xdpyinfo | grep dimen
  dimensions:    1024x768 pixels (286x214 millimeters)

286 / 10 / 2.54 = 11 inch
1024 / 11 = 93 dpi

This is the correct dpi value for your current monitor and resolution.
Just fill in the values xdpyinfo gives you. Now

# vim /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc
#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/X11/X -dpi 93 -nolisten tcp

adjust the -dpi parameter. If you use Gnome (KDE might also apply) you
can set the same value in the font configuration. Now all applications
should display the same font in the same size.

J.
--
I feel yawning hollowness whilst talking to people at parties.
[Agree]   [Disagree]