Linux and integrated ES1869 audio controller

[[I also posted this message to gmane.linux.sound, but since that
newsgroup seems pretty dead, I'm also posting it here]]

Linux is unable to see my "sound card"

I'm running Debian 3.1, "Sarge" on an old Compaq Presario 5220.
The so-called "sound card" is one of those damnable integrated ES1869
audio controllers rather than a real sound card.

Needless to say, I've got sound under WiNdOwS/MSDOG, but Linux isn't
able to even see that the sound card is there.

Here is what I've tried, thus far:

*: pnpdump can't see a thing, so I have nothing to feed to isapnp

*: discover can't see a soundcard, but I do get 5 lines of:
   "unknown unknown"

*: dmesg shows nothing useful

*: "modprobe sb <various parameters>"
   gives me "Error inserting sb (/lib/.../sb.ko): No such device"

*: "modprobe snd-es18xx <various parameters>"
   gives me "Error inserting sb (/lib/.../snd-es18xx.ko): No such
   device"

*: Hell, in desparation, I even ran a for loop on all the .ko files
   under the /lib/modules/.../sound/ subdirectory in the hopes that
   something would work.
   nothing worked

*: no such file as /dev/sndstat

*: alsaconf didn't find a sound card

*: From what I can tell, nothing of any use in the output of hwinfo

*: lspci... nope

*: modinfo soundcore... yup, I have the soundcore module loaded

One final note.

I used wine to run the MSDOG esscfg.exe command with the same
parameters that I have in my autoexec.bat file from that side of the
computer.  The next time I entered KDE, I had a popup message telling
me that it wasn't able to detect a sound card.  Now, I had disabled
this popup window before, so I suspect that my running esscfg.exe
under wine might have convinced something that something resembling a
soundcard might need to be checked again.

Can anyone offer me any further advice.
I know that since this *is* an integrated audio controller, there
really is no soundcard, but I figure that since WiNdOwS/MSDOG can see
the thing, I should be able to convince Linux to see it.