Sarge Installation: partman fails with SATA378 TX2Plus

Hi all,

I'm trying to install Debian on a new Sager 9880 notebook, but the install is consistently failing with "No partitionable media were found." I've tried both the 2.4 and 2.6 kernels, getting the same result. The 2.4 kernel successfully configures my network, but the 2.6 kernel fails to recognize the response from DHCP in my router unless acpi=off. With acpi=off (and card services disabled) the 2.6 kernel configures the network, but still cannot find the hard drives.

I've got two hard drives controlled by a Promise SATA378 TX2Plus. This controller is recognized as a "Promise Technology, Inc. PDC20378 (SATA150 TX)". sata-promise is loaded successfully. Prior to turning acpi off, I noticed in /var/log/messages that both acpi and the controller were using irq11. However, the partman problem does not go away even the irq issue is eliminated by setting acpi=off. There are these suspicious messages in /var/log/partman (and on the alt-F3 console):

File descriptor 3 left open
File descriptor 4 left open
File descriptor 5 left open
File descriptor 6 left open
  No matching physical volumes found
File descriptor 3 left open
File descriptor 4 left open
File descriptor 5 left open
File descriptor 6 left open
  No volume groups found
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...

All other messages seem normal.

I'm installing from DVD's that I created with jigdo, using the ucberkeley mirror. The images are Debian GNU/Linux Sarge 20050528 (I made these just a couple days before the 3.1 announcement).

Libata status indicates my controller should be supported (see http://linux.yyz.us/sata/sata-status.html#tx2).

My questions:

1. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get past this hurdle to complete the install? 2. Might the latest 2.6.12rc6 kernel, with a newer version of libata, provide proper support for my controller?
3.  If so, how can I update my installation images to use this kernel?
4. The Promise site offers Linux drivers for my controller, although only for the 2.4 kernel, and no binary images for Debian. (See http://www.promise.com/support/download/download2_eng.asp?productId=138&category=driver&os=4&go=GO). If the latest 2.6 kernel will not work, could I somehow use this driver? If so, how?

Thanks for any help,

Chuck