Re: did Sid equal Testing at the moment just before Sarge's release?

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 07:34:49PM -0400, Mitchell Laks wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I saw all the articles on the switch of testing to etch and release of sarge
> as stable.

Wow.  All of them?  How many were there :-)

> I am one of many who has been running a desktop tracking sid for months.
>
> Just before the release, how far apart were sid and testing? were the only
> things in sid = bug fixes for sarge?

No.  Sarge was frozen prior to release.  Bug fixes for Sarge went into
Sarge and Sid.  Some maintainers chose to continue uploading new
versions to Sid, while others chose to hold on to make adding bug fixes
easier.  The reason was the major changes would not be allowed from Sid
to Sarge during the freeze, but bug fixes would.  If the versions of a
package were different in Sarge and Sid, a special upload would have to
be prepared during the freeze.  If they were the same, the bug fix could
go into Sid and then get fast tracked in Sarge.

> This is relevant for someon who was running a sid desktop who may want to wait
> a while before tracking sid/etch because of all the many new changes.

Then just don't update or dist-upgrade.

> If sid != testing at the moment of sarge release, then how could such an
> indvidual "go  back to sarge" from sid (the sid of before sarge release)?

You really can't go back.  It's not supported to rever to an earlier
release.  You can try, but no guarantees.  It depends heavily on which
packages you have installed and how they take being downgraded.

> Also , many people say it pays to track testing. But testing gets fixes slower
> than sid... (according to the debian "chose a distro' faq ...) So you can
> lose both ways :). Unless you can live dangerously....

Yes.  But testing rarely breaks catastrohically.  The big bugs are
almost always caught in experimental or Sid.  But the danger is still
there.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez