Re: i think I switched to Etch without knowing it

Guillaume TESSIER wrote:

Apt can fonction without [apt.conf]. Unless you have specific network settings (like access through proxy) then you don't need it. Either its an empty file either it's not there. If you use testing it might be there of not depending of the moment of your upgrade.

That seems to be the consensus, but once again, where does it get the Debian
version?  I can't for the life of me figure out how I've been upgrading (and
downgrading -- don't try that at home kids -- for years using the apt.conf
version paramemter and yet nobody seems to know of an alternate way to set the
Debian version.  Oh well, at least it works for me!  :D