Re: pls explain Amd numbering

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 12:48, michael wrote:
> Now I am confused since my bios says my chip is amd k7 athlon 4 but
> cpuinfo gives
>
> michael@manchester-campaigns:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 6
> model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 4 Processor

The Vendor_id, cpu pfamily and mode all combine together to give a
unique value that reflects that processor you have. The Model name is a
textual representation of this. In this case you have an AMD Athalon,
which is a K7. For more information on what the model, cpu family, etc
mean take a look at:

http://www.paradicesoftware.com/specs/cpuid/index.htm

--
 o)      Derek Wueppelmann                 (o
(D .       monkey@monkeynet.ca              D).