disk label in fstab unsets noatime

I have a serious weirdness going on, but I'm not sure it's a bug, per se. I thought I'd see if anyone else on the list has experienced something similar before I report it.

I have an XFS partition that I was mounting with a label from /etc/fstab:

   LABEL=vmware /mnt/vmware xfs defaults,nodev,noatime 0 2

but *something* (possibly laptop-mode, although it doesn't seem to affect my ext3 partitions) prevents it from mounting with noatime. I always need to manually remount it, and turn atime off the hard way.

However, replacing the label with the device (e.g. /dev/hdd1) works fine. It's definitely something to do with with the label in fstab, but I'm not sure what or why.

Anyone else ever seen this before, or know why this might be behaving like this?

--
Re-Interpreting Historic Miracles with SED #141: %s/water/wine/g