Jabberd/testing: xdb_file permissions problem

Hi all -

I run our dept. jabber server, on a mixed woody/testing server.
(I can't take it up to sarge just yet for mysql-related reasons)

Recently, I've started seeing these messages in
/var/log/jabber/error.log for valid user ids:

-----
xdb_file failed to open file /var/lib/jabber/<server>/<user>.xml:
Permission denied
-----

I recently installed jabberd from testing (1.4.3), which seemed to
change the /etc/init.d/jabber script from starting the server process
as daemon.daemon to executing as jabber.adm.  Despite putting all the
files in /var/lib/jabber/<server>/ (and the directory itself) to be
owned by jabber.adm with 600 permissions, this error message still kept
coming.

I've had to change the init script to run as root.root for now, as I've
simply got to have the server up and running, but that's obviously not
a great idea.

Has anyone got any ideas about this?  Does jabberd drop priviledges from
those specified in the init script silently, perhaps?

Any help /gratefully/ received!  Pintage in Coventry, UK on offer for
any decent ideas ... :-)

--
Jonathan Matthews-Levine
Remote Services Administrator

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may be subject to legal privilege, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
If you have received this email in error or think you may have done so, you may not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message. Please notify the sender immediately and delete the original e-mail from your system.

Computer viruses can be transmitted by e-mail. Recipients should check this e-mail for the presence of viruses. The Capita Group and its subsidiaries accept no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.