Re: Top posting

On Thursday June 9 2005 1:13 pm, Mike Ward wrote:
> Thanks for asking that, btw, Jin. I'm only an occasional user of
> the mailing list (I pop in every week or so to check up on it,
> that's about it, at most), and I was wondering as well. Actually, I
> even made the same incorrect assumption.

Note that top posting is considered harmful pretty much universally
outside the newbie community, not something unique to us.  The

>From the perspective of someone that doesn't follow the list
>
> religiously, just pops around a bit and quite honestly probably
> only reads one message out of a thousand, I kind of think the
> weekly FAQ or posting guidelines is a good idea.

How about an RFC?  That trumps all but RFCs that make it to being
STDs.

http://ursine.ca/Top_Posting#RFC_1855.C2.A0.28http%3A.2F.2Fwww.faqs.o
rg.2Frfcs.2Frfc1855.html.29

> To put it bluntly,
> I'm sure that a lot of people just aren't concerned enough to study
> a FAQ page somewhere, but if every week or two (even monthly) a
> message pops up that reminds them, they'd probably take note.

It's their obligation as an internet user to know and operate within
the realm of acceptable practices.  If they can't do that, they
shouldn't be connected to the internet.

--
Paul Johnson
Email and Instant Messenger (Jabber): baloo@ursine.ca