Re: Did I barbeque my Debain system?

%% Redefined Horizons <redefined.horizons@gmail.com> writes:

  rh> "Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds. If you have not logged
  rh> out yourself, this could mean that there is an installation problem or
  rh> that you may be out of disk space. Try logging in with one of the
  rh> failsafe sessions to see if you can fix the problem."

This means that when the display manager (GDM) tried to invoke your user
environment, it stopped running immediately, or even failed to start up
at all.

The best thing to do is log in as another user (even root, if that
works) if you can, or else go to the console (CTRL-ALT-F1) and log in
there, and look in your home directory at the file .xsession-errors
which should contain error messages generated by your session when it
tried to start up.

See if there's anything suspicious-looking in that file, and let us know
if you don't understand something.  Be warning there might be a lot of
mess in there, most of which is OK.  You'll have to be somewhat
discriminant.  Hopefully the messages you care about will be at or near
the end.

Good luck!

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@nortel.com>           HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools