Kev

Here is a not-so-current background piece:

http://www.hhs48.com/why_linux.html

You can also get more current info at www.linux-speakup.org

Many distributions now come with "speakup-modified" kernels permitting "eyes free" installation and operation. There are other access solutions besides speakup, but those require that you have a running system before starting the speech access solution. Speakup is a set of kernel patches that allows the console to talk from startup to shutdown. Once a system is running you can switch it to using software speech, but a hardware synthesizer is required normally. Speakup does not support GUI access, although both the gnome folks and the KDE folks are working on access solutions (very slowly). Speakup was developed by blind folks mostly, so the developers have a stake in its performance.

I have only used Slackware and Debian myself, and there is nothing in either distro that bears on the effectiveness of speakup. It works great in both. I prefer Debian for reasons unrelated to access. (as presumably you do, too <smile>)

Chuck

But you can still get downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh