Re: partition magic-ally

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 03:07:12PM -0700, prash wrote:
> Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> >
> > Scrap the whole scheme.  Just use LVM.  Trust me on this.  It is quite
> > worth it.  Setting up LVM on a new drive is a piece of cake.  Trying to
> > do it once the drive has been in use for a year and you have lots of
> > important data on it is a royal pain.  With LVM you can resize your
> > partitions whenever you want.
> >

> thanks! lvm seems like a great idea - but i am a bit confused.
> there seems to be a debian lvm download, but to download this i must
> first have debian for which i first need to decide on a partition
> scheme, which in effect defeats the purpose (or am i, as usual, missing
> something?)
> -prash.

If you have not yet installed, then don't worry about it.  The installer
lets you choose LVM as an option.  Then you can add your harddrive as a
physical volume and then make it the logical volume.  From there you can
create volume groups, which are analogous to partitions but can be
resized at will.  The installer walks you through the whole process very
nicely.

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sanchez