Configurations to take special note of

I have an IBM-T41 laptop... it dual boots Debian / WinXP

I ran Sid, I switched to Kanotix, somethings work better in one,
somethings better in the other, long and short, I'm switching back to
Sid. But a couple of things just work much much better in Kanotix and I
want to make sure I save enough configuration to set them up that way in
Sid...

1) Sound... this has always been my biggest linux headache, and so far
anyway it seems to be working great
2) Touchpad... in Sid my touchpad was jumpy, in Kanotix it's smooth (I
believe this is just the XF86Config-4 file?)

I always save off my entire /etc/ directory whenever I re-install just
for reference... but was wondering if there was anything else I should
consider saving or looking at before erasing Kanotix... particularly in
the sound department, is there anything special I should write down the
settings of (specifically in Gnome)

Thanks for any ideas.