Re: apt or aptitude on sarge

On Wednesday 08 June 2005 17.46, Robert Vangel wrote:
> Everyone always goes on about using aptitude rather than apt, I've
> *never* had any problems what so ever with apt, and I can't see any
> reason to start using aptitude (plus whenever I have used it seems less
> responsive / slower (in terms of program execution))

What I like about aptitude is that it has a text gui, in addition to the
command line switches. Great for when you need to search through many
different packages, read their description, follow dependencies and
recommendations between packages in the dependency tree. That and the
fact that it remembers which package(s) just "came along" another package
that I explicitly selected to be installed, so that when you uninstall
that package everything it needed will be removed too. I was never able
to keep the system "clean" of stray package before.

Best regards

--
Olle Eriksson
mail@olle-eriksson.com | http://www.olle-eriksson.com