Re: Network IP probem

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 05:53:13PM +0300, Meni Shapiro wrote:
>    What is it that you want to know??
>    If someone else (other then your computer) is using your pc's mac
>    address??
>    Not posible. mac addresses are uniq.

MAC addresses are trivially changed by the administrator, and
manufacturing errors have produced duplicate MAC addresses in
hardware.

>    If someone uses your IP address?? do you have a static IP from you
>    ISP?? then ask your IP

The issues are still valid on a completely disconnected LAN where
the poster may be his own "service provider".

Sadly I have no suggestions for how to detect IP or MAC conflicts
aside from the chaos they cause, and the already-suggested arpwatch
to log what's appearing.