Re: apt or aptitude on sarge

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 13:28:07 +0200, Frank Gevaerts writes:
>> I note that it seems that aptitude is recommended over apt for Sarge. I
>> was wondering if it's as str forward as just using aptitude from now on?
>> eg I do not have to rebuild anything the first time i use aptitude (ie
>> it uses the same dpkg info as apt - but in that case why is aptitude
>> recommended over and above apt?)

>AFAIK It has a somewhat different dependency reolution engine, which seems
>to be better at large dist-upgrades than apt in most cases.

I've upgraded 5 or 6 machines to Sarge since Monday, using aptitude.

Whilst for the most part it worked fine, it "held back" a great many
 packages, though I wasn't able to figure out the reason. So I ran an
`apt-get upgrade` afterwards, which also pulled those packages up to
 Sarge versions.

<shrug>

cheers,
&rw
--
/ Ing. Robert Waldner | Security Engineer |  CoreTec IT-Security  \
\   <rw@coretec.at>   | T +43 1 503 72 73 | F +43 1 503 72 73 x99 /