kernel panic when installing 2.6.11.11

Hi !

I'm running Debian Sarge with kernel 2.6.8-2 on my Sony Vaio notebook
VGN-A115Z (Centrino). I've downloaded kernel 2.6.11.11 but i get
problems running it.

initrd-tools: 0.1.74
NET: Registered protocol family 1
pivot_root: no such file or directory
/sbin/init: 426: cannot open dev/console: no such file
kernel panic - not syncing: attempted to kill init!

I've tried a lot of modules from the filesystem and driver section,
but getting this error.

Does anyone know what is going wrong or in which direction i should
look (missing filesystem module, wrong ide driver... etc).

Greetings, Frank