GNOME/KDE in Sarge?

Hello.

I have to install Linux on one box that I will admin remotely.
A few users there will want to use GNOME (or maybe KDE, but it would be
fine if I install just GNOME). I'll have to make a short trip to install
the OS, and would like to do this as quickly as possible.

So -- since I don't have a box here to try and test installing Sarge,
my question is: how easy is it to configure X and GNOME? At least
until Woody, it didn't "just work out of the box", as it happens
with Fedora, for example. Not that I think installing Fedora is a
better idea, but I'd like to know how long it will take.
Those who have installed Sarge -- what did you have to do to get X
(and GNOME) running? Does it detect the hardware without problems?
What is used to configure X? Did it work for you without need for
manually tweaking /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 ? And did GNOME and gdm install
nicely too?

Thanks a lot!
J.