Re: Understanding apt-setup

Brian Bennett wrote:

On Jun 7, 2005, at 12:49 PM, Wulfy wrote:

Brian Bennett wrote:

I'm trying to understand how apt-setup works. Just so you know where I'm coming from, I have a very large install base of Debian Sarge built from testing installer discs. The problem that I am having is that after converting my PC (my first and foremost testing box) to Sarge stable (I even downgraded over 100 packages to become purely stable) apt-setup still insists on giving me testing sources. I've been building servers looking forward to the Sarge release, and now that it's out I want to keep them all at stable. If we hire a new admin in 6 months and he uses apt- setup to get a different mirror I don't want it to be testing.

Silly question from a newbie:

Did you check your sources.list? Are they pointing at sarge, stable or testing?

Silly question from someone who didn't bother to read the question.

I know how to edit the sources by hand.
I don't need or use apt-setup myself.
I've probably been using Debian a lot longer than you have.

I read the question alright. You said: "I have a very large install base of Debian Sarge built from testing installer discs" which, in my *very* limited experience (yes, I'm a newbie, as I said), puts "testing" lines in sources.list. Sometimes, the obvious is overlooked by the experienced *because* they've been doing it so long.

What I want is to prevent other more junior sysadmins from making a big mistake. I can do this one of two ways. One is to either fix apt-setup so it operates properly, or chmod -x and chattr -i apt- setup, or just rm -f apt-setup altogether. I'd rather do the first of those three.

So, let me restate this. In order to prevent others from accidentally adding a testing apt source into my farm of 100 servers how can I fix apt-setup so it actually does what it's supposed to do?

Please don't tell me to edit the sources by hand. That is not what I want to do.

Just to clarify for anybody stupid enough to tell me to edit the sources by hand:
1.  I know how to edit it by hand
2.  I have done so on many occasions
3.  If you're not going to answer my question, don't bother responding
4. Unless someone out there actually knows why this is happening I'll file a bug report on the apt-setup brain damagery.

I just want to thank you for equating my desire to help with stupidity. Way to go to encourage new people to participate and learn in Debian!!!

Oh, and in case I didn't mention it already, I know I could just edit my sources.list by hand, but someday someone might not do that, and it's that someday and someone that I want to be safe from. So yea, I want to fix apt-setup, not sources.list. Are we crystal?

I don't mean to be so belligerent, but I was hoping that people would actually think I meant what I said.

Let's hope someone more experienced than I am can get past your belligerence and and not answer in a "stupid" way.

- -- Brian Bennett

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Respect the elders. Teach the young. Co-operate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between.