nano and pine

Hello:

I've had nano - a free replacement for pico, the editor which comes
with pine - installed with pine without any trouble.  But I just tried
to upgrade to pine 4.63, using the .deb file from washington.edu, and
it bailed out because nano takes over /usr/bin/pico (which I hadn't
realised).  So, I purged nano, and installed pine.  Now, when I try to
reinstall nano, _it_ bails because /usr/bin/pico belongs to the pine
package.  Is there any way I can force aptitude to install nano over
pine's pico?

Patrick