Re: On IMAP servers

Franki wrote:

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:23:43AM -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:

On Jun 05 2005, Steve Lamb wrote:

I'd say go with UW's IMAP server.

I'd say go with UW's IMAP server *only* if your computer isn't facing the Internet -- it has a bad security track history and many people don't trust
it.

as far as I can tell there is none.  Either it works or it doesn't.  :D

Same thing with Courier. There are some things that can be configured, but
the defaults are sane, especially those employed by the Debian packaged
version.

Just to be fair, though, Courier's reputation is *not* that good also
(hint: see what "Binc IMAP" means and you'll get it), but it works fine.

I hope to find some time to evaluate the many IMAP servers side-by-side and
create a good report of my experiences.

Anyway, that is what I use here.  UW for IMAP, squirrel for web based,
mutt for local when I really need it, Thunderbird through IMAP 99.9% of
the time.

Here I agree with the method for flexibility of reading e-mail.

Not only Thunderbird, but other MUAs, independently of what platform you're
confined to use. That's the beauty of IMAP, IMVHO.

Short summary of popular IMAP servers:

server          why you would use it
------          --------------------
UW IMAP         You are a masochist
Cyrus IMAP      You need *serious* scalability (e.g., 100,000 users with
                accounts on 8 clustered servers using Cyrus Murder)
                You want to virtual host or setup mail accounts without
                requiring a corresponding shell account
Courier IMAP    You want low maint/like Maildir
Dovecot         New kid on the block; you like living on the edge

-Roberto

Actually, you can do virtual users without shell accounts via courier as
well.
I'm running a Postfix/amavisd/spamassassin MTA with courier IMAP/SASL/Mysql
All users are virtual and administrered via the Postfix admin PHP app.

There are heaps of tutorials around on how to do this, like:
http://www.webconexion.net/knowledgebase/linux_howto/virtual_mail_server.php http://postfixwiki.org/index.php?title=Virtual_Users_and_Domains_with_Courier-IMAP_and_MySQL
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/virt-mail-howto.xml

For what it's worth:
Dovecot has been rather well behaved for me for the last few years.
It's faster than Courier because of caching/indexing. It's also been very low maintenance.