Re: On IMAP servers (was: Re: mutt + dovecot/squirrelmail + mbox ?)

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 02:55:55AM -0500, Steve Block wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 02:20:40AM -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> >Short summary of popular IMAP servers:
> >server          why you would use it
> >------          --------------------
> >UW IMAP         You are a masochist
> >Cyrus IMAP      You need *serious* scalability (e.g., 100,000 users with
> >               accounts on 8 clustered servers using Cyrus Murder)
> >               You want to virtual host or setup mail accounts without
> >               requiring a corresponding shell account
> >Courier IMAP    You want low maint/like Maildir
> >Dovecot         New kid on the block; you like living on the edge
>
> I highly and heartily recommend cyrus. 20,000 messages in a folder?
> 30,000? More (debian-user archive, anyone)? Want the server to handle
> sorting your mail for you? Thanks to Debian it's pretty easy to set up,
> and getting postfix to talk to it is cake.

Funny that you mention that.  While those are all nice things, if you
are not a full-time admin, maintaing a Cyrus installation for more than
a couple of users gets to be a real pain.  That said, if you are an ISP
with a bunch of admins running around, the scalability is especially
nice.  I have seen posting to newsgroups and such on the net where
people mention Murder clusters serving in excess of 250,000 users.

I originally picked it for my server because it was an old machine and I
was worried about corruption or hardware failure and I didn't want a
large mbox file getting trashed.  To me, the really nicest feature of
Cyrus is the duplicate delivery elimination.  Until I switched to
Courier last month, I had forgotten that people actually CC list mail.
Cyrus does it by keeping a database of (I think) hashes of messages
received within a certain time frame.  Dupes are discarded.  This is
done primarily to stop floods from messages that are caught in loops
with MTAs or whatever, but it also works with getting the same message
muiltiple times on multiple mailing lists/CCs.

> I also never liked both local and IMAP access to the same mail store.
> It just seems dangerous to me. The fact that cyrus uses it's own mail
> store that is not directly accessible is to me a feature. It also lets
> users make filtering rules without understanding a rule writing language
> thanks to sieve and the avelsieve plugin for squirrelmail.

To a degree yes.  I found the mailfilter rules I started using with
Courier to be more flexible.  However, I wouldn't expect a newbie to
deal well with it.

> It may seem excessive if you're the only user, but it works so well that
> if you're going to run your own IMAP server anyways it may as well be
> cyrus.

Thankfully, the newer versions in Sarge are pretty good.  I know that
the version of Cyrus with Woody was absolutely attrociously old and
finding anyone to help with problems with it or even docs about it was
nigh impossible.

> I did use Dovecot briefly to access a massive email archive from several
> years ago. It was in maildir format and I wanted to move the entire
> contents to my cyrus store. Worked fine then, and if you like maildir it
> sure was easier to deal with than Courier (we didn't get along).

Though, if you are interested in moving from Cyrus to something that
uses Maildir, I maintain the Debian package of cyrus2courier (which also
handles Dovecot and other Maildirs).  In fact, finding that little
program was what made me finally take the plunge (and procrastination on
a project that was due the next day at school, but I digress).

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr