something wrong after upgrade

Hi,

I use sarge as the only OS in my laptop(compaq m300), it works well
for nearly one year, but something went wrong this morning, after
I tried to upgrade my system by using

#apt-get upgrade

Everything went ok, however after I reboot my box, the X could no
longer start any more. I read the log and got the error message:

 /dev/psaux no such device.

So I created the device by using

#mknod /dev/psaux c 10 1 && chmod 600 /dev/psaux

and then I restarted the gdm, it's no problem.

However, everytime after I rebooted the box the same error turned up~

I googled the problem and got the answer, that was because some kernel modules
which were needed were not loaded automatically at the boot time.

I added "psmouse mousedev" to the /etc/modules, and the problem solved completely.

But I am wonderring why after I upgraded my system the kernel didn't load the modules
which it automatically loaded before any more, since I didn't upgrade kernel, which
always is 2.6.8-2, neither the configuration files.

Thanks for any idea.

Cheers,
Nico Chan