Re: Woody-No Mouse, Sarge-OK

gayle@Gcomm:~$ cd /dev
gayle@Gcomm:/dev$ ll mouse
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            5 May 17  2004 mouse -> psaux
gayle@Gcomm:/dev$ ll psaux
crw-------    1 root     root      10,   1 Jun  4 20:28 psaux
gayle@Gcomm:/dev$

I got the same results as bmarcum@iglou.com. Now I'm still running just woody and will probably upgrade the week of 13 June 2005. I guess I had better save a bunch of stuff.

I'm confused by your command ll. It wont run on bash for me. Is this an akias for ls -l? Also don't see and /dev in your output. Would you explain?

gayle@Gcomm:~$ cd /
gayle@Gcomm:/$ ls
XF86Config.new  cdrom   dvd     home        lib         opt   sbin  var
bin             cdrom0  etc     initrd      lost+found  proc  tmp   vmlinuz
boot            dev     floppy  initrd.img  mnt         root  usr
gayle@Gcomm:/$ ll dev/mo*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root dialout 10 May 30 2004 dev/modem -> /dev/ttyS0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            5 May 17  2004 dev/mouse -> psaux
gayle@Gcomm:/$ ll dev/ps*
crw-------    1 root     root      10,   1 Jun  5 17:26 dev/psaux
gayle@Gcomm:/$

From my home directory, I just cd'ed to the root directory. Since dev is itself a directory, I can cd to it as I did in the previous example or use the local path as I did in the second example. As you guessed, 'll' is indeed an alias that uses the 'ls' command in the '.bashrc' file that should be in your user home directory.

I'm sending my .bashrc file in a separate message for the benefit of those who prefer to skip it.

--
(Mr.) Gayle Lee Fairless, http://counter.li.org/
Linux Gcomm 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Son Apr 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002 i686 unknown